Re: Rmore details on network was Setting up a network Was: Re: a very carefully asked question?

Le Mer 27 février 2013 15:01, Karen Lewellen a écrit :
> To keep it basic, since the idea of debian finding the card even if
> not connected might make sense,  I take it that will be the best first
> step? second, can someone send me the command one might use to learn if
> ice Wiesel is included on the drive?

To install iceweasel, you have at least 3 options, which both need root
access (use "su" to become "root" or "sudo" to run a single command as
root):
_ running "$apt-get install iceweasel"
_ running "$aptitude install iceweasel"
_ using aptitude's ncurses interface (allows interactions, my favorite way)

For your network card, if you have no network management daemons
(networkmanager, by example. I do not know if there are other, but I think
yes.), you can configure the file "/etc/network/interfaces".

Here is mine (without wireless):
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

You should have the same, but maybe if debian was installed without
network, the 2 eth0 lines might be absent. If so, add them.
Then, to start network for your session: "ifup eth0"
Other sessions should not need such command, this will be automatic.