Re: a very carefully asked question?

> Hi folks,
> I have been considering all day how I will ask this.
> it is very very important that I get the answer I seek, and with so  many
> variations, things can  shift off the mark if not careful.
> going to keep it simple  only adding extra detail if necessary.
> If one already has an install of debian, in this case squeeze that did
> not involve including network access at the time, how does one add  the
> networking aspect later?
> I will have working dsl I trust this weekend.  I want the individual
> helping me connect my main computer to also inform my Debian machine that
> network connection exists, letting debian establish  the best drivers
> etc., for the network.
> How specifically is this done?

Chances are that your network card was detected and the correct kernel
module is already being loaded. If this is the case and you never touched
any network configuration file, and also you dsl provider does not use
pppoe but instead plain ethernet with dhcp, then networking will just work
when you connect the network cable.

If it does not work, please write again to this list including the output
of the comands

cat /etc/network/interfaces
dpkg --status network-manager | grep Status
lspci -v
dmesg | grep eth0
/sbin/ifconfig

and whether your provider uses pppoe or plain ethernet with dhcp.

João Luis.