a very carefully asked question?

Hi folks,
I have been considering all day how I will ask this.
it is very very important that I get the answer I seek, and with so many variations, things can shift off the mark if not careful.
going to keep it simple  only adding extra detail if necessary.
If one already has an install of debian, in this case squeeze that did not involve including network access at the time, how does one add the networking aspect later? I will have working dsl I trust this weekend. I want the individual helping me connect my main computer to also inform my Debian machine that a network connection exists, letting debian establish the best drivers etc., for the network.
How specifically is this done?
Thanks,
Karen