Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:18:01 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 05:51, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> How about a simple "wget"?
> weaver@Bandit:~$ su
> Password:
> Bandit:/home/weaver# wget --2011-08-16 06:06:49--
> Connecting to failed:
> Connection timed out. Retrying.
> --2011-08-16 06:07:36--  (try: 2) Connecting to
> failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
> --2011-08-16 06:08:23--  (try: 3) Connecting to
> failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.

Hum... are you sure your router is still at ""?

Yes, because I'm still getting some connections. Every now and again, I get some connections I haven't been able to, e.g., This is the first time I've been able to get access to gmail for two days.

>> > I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the
>> > fact that it is SID doesn't account for.
>> Really, I can't see how your network configuration can be a problem
>> here. If you have setup static values for your NIC and you can
>> ping/reach your DSL router you should get the same you get when using a
>> Windows client.
>> There is no more magic behind an ethernet device and that's precisely
>> its best bet: it works regardless the OS and does not require for
>> special drivers :-)
> I'm thinking it must be something under the network config. Something in
> the O.S. itself that has come adrift. I'll try a reinstall.
> My /home partition is on an external drive, so the data is safe and a
> reinstall doesn't represent as much of a problem as it would otherwise.

Reinstalling is a "no-no" in the linux ecosphere, is the last resort for
the brave and valiants riders (just kidding :-P)... and in this case I'm
afraid you won't obtain any gain in doing it. You better hang in there
and try to solve the mistery by yourself :-)

I understand, but I notice things like the port light on a the laptop's ethernet outlet doesn't seem as busy as it should be and I suspect that, in an eight year old laptop, the main-board may have problems. This is beyond the Lone Ranger, or even the Silver Surfer to solve with a script or two.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.