Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 03:56:46 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 15 August 2011 21:34, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Timeouts for "some" sites may require more debugging. A site can be
>> having any problem or your ISP may be having a routing issue with that
>> specific server... hard to tell what can be happening.
>>

> debian.org
> Al Jazeera English
> Oxford Dictionaries Online
> My ISP's home page
> Just for a few examples. This is not the connection, because I get other
> pages consistently, but these I am unable to gain access to at all over
> many attempts.

For that failing sites you can run the typical network tests, like a
traceroute, a ping, a dns resolution... also, try with different browsers
(Opera, Firefox and Chrome) and you can even use an online proxy.

>> > And I *still *can't access the modem interface in Debian.
>> >
>> > So, it's looking like a system glitch still.
>>
>> This is what puzzles me because I definitely see no (good|logical)
>> reason for not getting access to the web interface from Debian.
>> Ethernet is one of the most standarized technologies out there so I
>> dunno what can be happening with that DSL modem.
>>
>> Have you tried to get access by telnet ("telnet 192.168.1.254"). Some
>> routers do also allow to be managed in this way :-?
>>

> weaver@Bandit:~$ su
> Password:
> Bandit:/home/weaver# telnet 192.168.1.254 Trying 192.168.1.254...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
> Bandit:/home/weaver#

Okay, so it seems there is no telnet service available in route :-)

How about a simple "wget 192.168.1.254"?

> The latest hint is this pop-up when the browser is loading:
>
> Unexpected error updating default notary_list from web: [Exception...
> "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
> [nsIDataSignatureVerifier.verifyData]"  nsresult: "0x80004005
> (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
> chrome://perspectives/content/common.js :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 185"
> data: no]

Looks like a javascript error/warning but not enough to tell if just this
can prevent the whole page from loading :-?

> At this stage, I don't think there's anything wrong with the modem.
> Especially when it is considered that:
>
>    - This is another new modem, as an exchange for another new one of
>    the same type that I got the same behaviour from;
>    - These modems are noted as being a good model;
>

>    - I have been able to get an immediate connection to the modem from
>    another laptop with M$'s XP.
>
> I think I have messed up my install inadvertently, in a way that the
> fact that it is SID doesn't account for.

Really, I can't see how your network configuration can be a problem here.
If you have setup static values for your NIC and you can ping/reach your
DSL router you should get the same you get when using a Windows client.

There is no more magic behind an ethernet device and that's precisely its
best bet: it works regardless the OS and does not require for special
drivers :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón