Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:18:37 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 16 August 2011 22:12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > weaver@Bandit:~$ su
>> > Password:
>> > Bandit:/home/weaver# wget 192.168.1.254 --2011-08-16 06:06:49--
>> > http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting to 192.168.1.254:80... failed:
>> > Connection timed out. Retrying.
>> >
>> > --2011-08-16 06:07:36--  (try: 2)  http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting
>> > to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
>> >
>> > --2011-08-16 06:08:23--  (try: 3)  http://192.168.1.254/ Connecting
>> > to 192.168.1.254:80... failed: Connection timed out. Retrying.
>>
>> Hum... are you sure your router is still at "192.168.1.254"?
>>

> Yes, because I'm still getting some connections. Every now and again, I
> get some connections I haven't been able to, e.g., This is the first
> time I've been able to get access to gmail for two days.

That's so weird. I would try with another ethernet interface (if you're
running a laptop, there are some cheap USB to RJ-45 adapters).

>> > I'm thinking it must be something under the network config. Something
>> > in the O.S. itself that has come adrift. I'll try a reinstall. My
>> > /home partition is on an external drive, so the data is safe and a
>> > reinstall doesn't represent as much of a problem as it would
>> > otherwise.
>>
>> Reinstalling is a "no-no" in the linux ecosphere, is the last resort
>> for the brave and valiants riders (just kidding :-P)... and in this
>> case I'm afraid you won't obtain any gain in doing it. You better hang
>> in there and try to solve the mistery by yourself :-)
>>

> I understand, but I notice things like the port light on a the laptop's
> ethernet outlet doesn't seem as busy as it should be and I suspect that,
> in an eight year old laptop, the main-board may have problems. This is
> beyond the Lone Ranger, or even the Silver Surfer to solve with a script
> or two. Regards,

If you're facing a hardware issue here, reinstalling won't solve so
much ;-(. Anyway, better that reinstalling is testing a LiveCD of your
choice, it's a less-aggressive approach.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón