Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 06:28:26 +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:

> On 14 August 2011 14:42, Heddle Weaver <weaver2world@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 13 August 2011 01:44, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> After configuring the modem through XP laptop, I can now access the net
>> through my Debian laptop.
>> The connection is very glitchy - lots of 'time-outs' - but a definite
>> improvement.
>> At least I have access.
>>
>> I'll just have to iron out the bugs, now, but it's been quite a
>> different experience.
>

> Here would appear to be the problem.
> I can access the net.
> Some sites I have absolutely no problem with and others just time out.
> This is with bookmarks I've had regular and unimpeded access to in the
> past.

Timeouts for "some" sites may require more debugging. A site can be
having any problem or your ISP may be having a routing issue with that
specific server... hard to tell what can be happening.

If using Firefox, you can just disable ipv6 because some sites become
painfully slow when this is enabled (about:config → filter by "ipv6" →
and set "network.dns.disableIPv6" to "true"). After that, restart Firefox/
Iceweasel.

> And I *still *can't access the modem interface in Debian.
>
> So, it's looking like a system glitch still.

This is what puzzles me because I definitely see no (good|logical) reason
for not getting access to the web interface from Debian. Ethernet is one
of the most standarized technologies out there so I dunno what can be
happening with that DSL modem.

Have you tried to get access by telnet ("telnet 192.168.1.254"). Some
routers do also allow to be managed in this way :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón