Re: Using Files Without Mounting A Share From Another System

On 2011-04-25, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:33:45 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> On 2011-04-24, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)

>>> Yes, but not all java applications are ready to be used with that
>>> method. If you can tell me a sample case, I will test :-)
>>
>> --- SNIP ---
>>
>> I cannot provide you with a sample case to prove a negative! Instead I
>> invite you to download the sample .jnlp file in the link I provided
>> earlier and modify it to suit your LAN.
>
> Okay, I just have tried to create a JNLP file to launch the JAR file that
> is stored on a samba share but I'm still facing the same problem that we
> are encountering from the beginning: "smb://" protocol is not detected ;-(
>
> If I place the "test.jnlp" file locally it can be run (it fails because
> it looks for a signature file that seems to be missed from the original
> jar but anyway it recognizes the JAR and tries to launch it), but when I
> put the same "test.jnlp" file over a samba share and run the app from a
> linux client it does not work "(java.io.FileNotFoundException: smb:/host/
> share/test.jnlp (No such file or directory)".
>
> Needless to say the same "test.jnlp" that is located on the network share
> runs fine when it's launched from a windows client ;-(

That's a pity. I suspect that smb:// it is not supported by Java
because, like sftp://, it is not an official scheme[1].

So, you would have to serve the .jnlp file and its resources from an
HTTP or FTP server to make the solution truly portable.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URI_scheme#Unofficial_but_common_URI_schemes

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland