Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Jochen Schulz
<jrschulz@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Geronimo:
>>
>> Rebooting from debian after a grub-install/update-grub, situation is shown by
>> picture grub01.png
>
> This doesn't look *that* bad. It hangs right before showing the menu or
> at least its command line. I googled for "welcome to grub!" and found
> a hint that this *might* actually be a graphics problem. See this bug
> report:

> It looks like the fix didn't make into stable, but you can try setting
> GRUB_TERMINAL=console.

It looks like you've found a gem, especially given the external card
and this post by Colin Watson (#54):

One effect of these changes was to load the video_cirrus and video_bochs
modules by default (you can test whether this is the culprit by
commenting them out in grub.cfg).  I've seen a handful of systems that
hang while trying to enumerate the PCI bus in GRUB; it so happens that
those are the only modules that usually trigger GRUB's PCI bus
enumeration in normal circumstances ...

You can also verify this at a lower level by trying 'lspci' at a GRUB
prompt.  If it's the same problem, this will hang.