What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

Hello,

the last update of debian broke my system completely! After dist-upgrade I got
the advice, that I should reboot the system. Nothing special, so I rebooted
the system.  That was the start of the misery. Grub was not able to find its
boot partition and for such - it hung before showing up the menue.

So I tried to boot from debian installer disk using rescue mode - all is fine,
I could reinstall grub - installer says "no error" but on reboot the same
problem.

I don't have any exotic hardware, except the fact, that I use 8 harddisc at my
desktop system and for so I have an external SATA-controller. I reported
problems with grub about 6 weeks ago and I got the advice to create an ext2
boot partition and reinstall debian.  I followed that advice and the system
worked fine since then, but now I get the same trouble again.

Years ago I came to debian, cause Suse bugged me with having to reinstall
after each release change. I tried nearly every available linux and when I
came to debian stable (woody at that time), I felt at home.  Since then, I
only had problems when I tried other linux or even debian sid - so I had to
confess: I'm a debian stable user.

Whenever colleagues or friends told me about problems with their OS I said:
Hey, move to debian stable - and the sun is shining :)

And now this. *FUCK* !

Yes, I'm too agitated to mask this fact/word.

What's so difficult to add a working boot-manager? Or even test it?  How could
that *FUCKING* grub2 ever got into debian stable?

When I read docs from grub2 - it looks like it is able to read all types of
partition tables and all types of filesystems ...

... and now a system breaks on the fact of having an external SATA-
controller?!? Is that really so exotic, that no one tests that, before moving
packages into stable?

... and the installer? Crashes on installing, when /usr and /var are different
partitions which should not be formatted. Huh???
Is that stable?

When I look at the output of fdisk -p each harddisk has a unique identifier,
which keeps being the same after reboot. So why not kick that buggy "hdx"
tokens from grub.cfg and use the real disk-identifier?

I have no idea about boot process, but I know software development and
testing. HELL! - I'm so disappointed about the last update - I can't tell you.
For me, debian stable is not only the OS I use, but it is also my religion:
stability rules over visual effects.

Seems as this is no more true for debian stable - so welcome to quality of
microsoft. You have to format all your disks to install an OS - unbelievable!

Today I tried to reinstall debian - but that did not work either.  Guess what
I had to do, do bring my system up? - Yes, I had to remove the external SATA-
controller and for so loose half of my disks.  No, the controller is not
defect. Yesterday I run prime for several hours.

From rescue disk I made some mistakes, when I tried to remove grub from
other disks mbr, which now causes the loss of lots of data. I only solved to
recover the small disks usings testdisk. The disks above 100G seem to be too
big for testdisk - so I have to work on data recovery.

I hope, that debian changes the project manager back to a person that knows
the meaning of "stable". The current state is not acceptable, disappointing
and a disgrace for the name of debian!

kind regards

Gero