Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?

On Mi, 23 mar 11, 13:36:30, Mark wrote:

> > With grub2, if you want to troubleshoot update-grub and the resulting
> > "/boot/grub/grub.cfg", you have to look at "/etc/default/grub",
> > "/etc/grub.d/*", "/usr/lib/grub/grub-mkconfig_lib", and
> > "/usr/bin/grub-mkconfig". You might not need to do so often (I haven't
> > had to do so for my boxes for a very long time) but, if and when you
> > do, it borders on silly...
> >
> Thanks Tom.  Have you or anyone else been able to change the text displayed
> on the GRUB2 boot menu _without_ editing the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file?
> Maybe the label/text is stored somewhere and I missed it, just curious.

I'm quite sure they are not stored, but regenerated on each
'update-grub'. It might be that the names are influenced by some
variable that can be set in /etc/default/grub, but from my experience
the documentation needs improving in this area. AFAICT the only
documentation we have now is the source as shell scripts.