[SOLVED] Re: How to change the style and background of the Squeeze login screen?

On Mar 23, 2011, at 2:25 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

I tried installing gdm, which (as expected) wanted to replace gdm3 (which was fine with me) but it also wanted to delete a *whole* *bunch* of other stuff as well. I have no idea if I need that other stuff -- or am I just as well off without it?

Is there some easy way I can get my login screen options back?

Easy is a relative thing.

Here's the trick:
	aptitude install gdm
It will ask you if you want to remove gnome and gnome-desktop- environment as well as gdm3. If you answer "yes" it will give you a whole bunch of packages that will become newly "unneeded". This is not what you wanted -- at least it's not what *I* wanted. It will then ask if you want to "Accept this solution?". Do not answer "y"; do not answer "n"; instead answer "." (that's right, just the "period" character.) It will then offer another solution, which is also not good. Keep answering "." until you get to a solution that just wants to remove gdm3, nothing else, and offers to install the one package, fast-user-switch-applet.

The display will look like this:

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] .

    Remove the following packages:
1)     gdm3

    Install the following packages:
2)     fast-user-switch-applet [2.24.0-6 (stable)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Now answer "y". All will be well and after a reboot you will get the familiar gdm login screen with the "Actions" option that allows you to set themes and color-schemes.

Ahhhh!  *So* much better!

Rick