Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 05:00:09PM +0530, kumar.appaiah@gmail.com was heard to say:
> On 7/16/08, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >>       An ordinary user might not have resources to have a machine running
> >> 24/7.
> >
> > Why not?
> >

> Because I currently am using the services of an internet service
> provider who claims to be providing "broadband" access under a plan
> where I am metered by the byte, and the allowable limit under the
> current plan is 400 MB (total two-way traffic) per month under this
> plan (extra pay for more MBs). It's too expensive for me to get a
> better plan, and plain not worth the money for the limited needs of
> people here at home.

  I don't know how expensive is "too expensive", but when I got fed up
with my ISP's mail server, I started renting a virtual server to handle
incoming (and now outgoing) email.  It's perhaps not as ideal as having
my own hardware, but it's a lot cheaper [0].  There's also a fee for the
domain name, but it's basically negligible. (something like $10/year)

  Daniel

  [0] I don't drink coffee, but I believe that four or five cups here in
      Seattle would equal my monthly $20 payment to Slicehost.