Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]

Ron Johnson wrote:

> I keep telling people that Gmail is evil, but no one will listen.

I don't think so. It is as evil as using any proprietary software. I use
proprietary software all the time. Their TOS is very restrictive (as is the
case for most proprietary software). So, I just use it not-so-important
stuff.

> If you care about your data, and want to get to it at any time, keep
> your data and your apps on your local machine.

local vs machine independent set up for email ...

I prefer machine independent any time. If you set up your email locally on a
local machine, then what would you do when you go to another place and have
to check email from another machine? In order to have 24/7 access to your
email, now you need to set up ssh and make sure that the local machine runs
24/7. An ordinary user might not have resources to have a machine running
24/7. In such a case, I definitely recommend using a third party email
service (like gmail, yahoo etc.,) which cost $0, and need no maintenance
from the user.

raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi