Re: du-guidelines - point 7

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:22:29 -0400
"Jeff Soules" <soules@gmail.com> wrote:

> > GMail is known buggy and not suitable for mailing list use, if only for
> > it's propensity to send HTML when the user wasn't expecting to, and it's
> > brutal lack of Reply to Mailing List and poor threading.
>
> And yet, it's free-as-in-beer, without having to expose your home system
> to the vulnerabilities associated with running your own mail server, and its
> thread-collapsing system and effective search features make it heaps
> easier to store debugging steps and solutions from the ML and even find
> them again later.  Granted, you have to be comfortable with your mail
> being stored on an untrusted server; and setting up encryption and
> signing in Gmail is something I've yet to attempt...  but there
> are pros as well as cons.

Note that Gmail can be used via POP or IMAP, without the web interface,
as I and others on the list use it.  One still gets the free-as-in-beer
mail service and storage space, but is free to use 'proper' software
(fetchmail / getmail, MUA, gpg, procmail / maildrop, etc.) in
conjunction with it.  I do occasionally use the web interface for the
excellent search capability, and checking the spam folder for false
positives (of which there often are).

Celejar