Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:27:15PM +1100, hce wrote:

> > You can try to connect via dhcp by running 'dhclient' as root. That
> >  might give some clues. If it works just revert your config. Sometimes
> >  the 'allow-hotplug' directive doesn't work correctly, you can try 'auto'
> >  instead.
>
> I changed to "audo", it sitll does not work. But, if I start dhclient
> manually, it works fine. I checked ps, there was a dhclient3 running.
> Could that cause the problem? How can I config /etc/init.d to make the
> dhclient running?

Please show the *exact* contents of /etc/network/interfaces (use
copy-paste).

> >  > If I want to another linux box connect to the Debian box using ssh,
> >  > should I install and start sshd in the debian box? I see the ssh has
> >  > already in the debian box, but I guess it is the ssh client, not sshd.
> >  > If I need to enable sshd in the debian box, how can I do it?
> >

> > AFAIK ssh depends on openssh-client and openssh-server so you should be
> >  fine.
>
> The ssh client running fine. It can ssh to other linux box where the
> sshd is running, but other linux box cannot ssh to it as there is no
> sshd running on the Debian.

How can you tell? Try 'ssh localhost' before trying to connect from
another machine.

> I searched Intenert find a ssh script and copied it to the
> /etc/init.d. The instruction says to call "update-rc.d -f ssh defaults
> 20", then run "/etc/init.d/ssh start". But, I could not find
> update-rc.d in my Debian box, is there alternative to make a runlevel
> links manually for ssh defaults 20?

This was a very bad idea! You should never copy some script from the
internet without a thorough understanding of what it does, especially a
script meant to start external services! Do you want to share your
computer with the whole internet? And besides that, the script provide
by the maintainer may (and probably will) have Debian specific stuff.

Let's take it step by step and please show the output of the commands
below by copy-pasting them in the mail:

1. Remove the script you copied from the internet and revert any changes
you made in that direction

2. Find out if openssh-server is installed:

dpkg -l openssh-server

This will show something like this:

||/ Name                                 Version                      Description
+++-====================================-============================-============================================
ii  openssh-server                       1:4.3p2-9                    secure shell server, an rshd replacement

3. If it was installed (the line starts with 'ii' you will have to
reinstall or better purge and install to recreate all missing config
files

4. If it is not installed you can install it with

aptitude install openssh-server

4. Check if sshd is working

ssh localhost

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. I have to go to work now, but others are probably watching this
thread too, so they can help if you get stuck. Please wait for answers
before trying random stuff.
(Albert Einstein)