Re: OT: Cycling: [was: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?]

Kent West wrote in Article <[🔎] 469CD55F.7020601@goshen.acu.edu> posted to
gmane.linux.debian.user:

> judd@wadsworth.org wrote:

>>>     Am I the only one who grew up where the law was cyclists were to
>>> ride against the flow of traffic?
>>>

> I can't say I ever recall it being law, but I remember my grandparents
> teaching me to walk against the flow of traffic, so that you can see the
> driver and the driver can see you, and I grew up with the concept of
> doing the same on a bike (I'm unsure if they taught me that, or if I
> just made the cross-over in my own child's mind); this was back in the
> 60's. I still see that as being the logical choice in some situations. I
> also see the logic of going with the flow. Depends on the situation.

What is the logic of driving a vehicle against traffic, again?  Just because
it's not motorized doesn't mean it doesn't need the horizontal clearance or
is any more crash compatible in a head-on collision.  Even on a bicycle, a
rear-ender is considerably more survivable; I've been in both on a bicycle
(once head on, went through a taxicab windshield after the moron ran a red
left turn signal, another was a rearender by some dork with Californian
plates.  The head-on knocked me out and I'm damn lucky I more or less
walked away from that one with minor injuries.  The rear-ender just sat me
on the hood.

> But I'm not one to speak to the issue, as I'm not a rider; when I rode
> as a kid, it was because it was the only mode of transportation, not
> because I especially enjoyed riding. As an adult, I'm way too lazy to
> rely on a bike. (*burp* pass me those chips, would ya?)

Look at it this way:  Bicycles are lazier than walking!  :o)  Seriously,
though, childhood ignorance is not an excuse.  If you can't be bothered to
teach your kids how to ride properly, you shouldn't be teaching your kids
how to ride at all.

--
Paul Johnson