Re: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?

Paul Johnson wrote in Article <[🔎] 1472988.xPDggbM2hU@ursa-major.ursine.ca>
posted to gmane.linux.debian.user:

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote in Article <f4n4kj$l24$1@sea.gmane.org> posted
> to gmane.linux.debian.user:
>
>> Zach wrote:
>>
>>> There
>>> are millions and millions of MS Windows uers who can't do much beyond
>>> checking email, surfing the web and playing games and then millions
>>> more who are what I call 'corporate users; they only do certain tasks
>>> using involving Office. The typical Linux user tended to be more savvy
>>> and educated about the OS though with Ubuntu and similar efforts this
>>> is probably degrading. One can argue if this is good or not for Linux.
>>

>> I disagree. Being able to use a system without knowing all the
>> intricacies, nuances is IMHO the sign of maturity of the "technology". If
>> someone knows all the inner details, good for them. But that should not
>> be a requirement.
>>
>> Using the automobile analogy, in the old days, the drivers of automobile
>> should know a lot about cars so that they can fix it in case something
>> breaks on their trip to the mall. Now a days, the drivers are not
>> required to know everything under the hood. If the driver knows about it,
>> it's good for them. But it is not a requirement.
>
> I disagree.  The way some people drive, perhaps it should be just to help
> weed out those who really have no business on the road with anything more
> powerful than a bicycle to begin with.  Sometimes, the learning curve is
> not only a good thing, but should be made mandatory.

I disagree:  There's some people that really ought not be trusted with
bicycles to begin with, like those morons that drive their bicycle against
traffic or on the sidewalk...

--
Paul Johnson