Re: OT: Cycling: [was: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?]

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 21:19 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 08:29:47AM +0200, Michael Dominok wrote:
>
> > > As for dedicated bicycle lanes, I've been very impressed by the ones in
> > > Germany and Austria (usually half of the sidewalk).
> >
> > Well, it depends. If there's enough space and budget and will there
> > might be usable bicycle lanes. But the average bicycle lane (in germany,
> > western part) is a holey, hunchbacked, worn-out and neglected strip of
> > asphalt which looks like it had no maintainance since the romans build
> > it...
>
> I'll take that anytime instead of riding through the traffic in Romania.
> (and I do NOT live in Bucharest, brrrr ...)

OK. I believe that. A friend of mine married a Romanian girl and
regularly drives down there for holidays. It takes him about 10h to get
to the Romanian border and about 20h to get to the place his wifes
relatives live. The "fun" part is that he travels about 3 times the
distance he does within Romania to get to the border... 8-)

So if Romanias roads are _that_ bad for cars i guess they're a nightmare
for cyclists.

> I've heard stories that cyclists in Münster ride with stretched elbows
> (very unfortunate for pedestrians walking to close to the bicycle lane).
> Is that true?

Not the last time a when i was there. Would be dangerous for the elbows
too. Think of all the lampposts, parked cars or traffic-lights one could
hit.

Cheers

Michael