Re: [OT] A significant negative impact on Linux's popularity?

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote in Article <f4n4kj$l24$1@sea.gmane.org> posted
to gmane.linux.debian.user:

> Zach wrote:
>
>> There
>> are millions and millions of MS Windows uers who can't do much beyond
>> checking email, surfing the web and playing games and then millions
>> more who are what I call 'corporate users; they only do certain tasks
>> using involving Office. The typical Linux user tended to be more savvy
>> and educated about the OS though with Ubuntu and similar efforts this
>> is probably degrading. One can argue if this is good or not for Linux.
>

> I disagree. Being able to use a system without knowing all the
> intricacies, nuances is IMHO the sign of maturity of the "technology". If
> someone knows all the inner details, good for them. But that should not be
> a requirement.
>
> Using the automobile analogy, in the old days, the drivers of automobile
> should know a lot about cars so that they can fix it in case something
> breaks on their trip to the mall. Now a days, the drivers are not required
> to know everything under the hood. If the driver knows about it, it's good
> for them. But it is not a requirement.

I disagree.  The way some people drive, perhaps it should be just to help
weed out those who really have no business on the road with anything more
powerful than a bicycle to begin with.  Sometimes, the learning curve is
not only a good thing, but should be made mandatory.

--
Paul Johnson