Re: Relabel partition didn't work

Greg Folkert wrote:
[snip]

> On early BSDI machines, (notice this is the
> commercial BSD version), due to inability of BSDI to see drives properly
> in some instances...
>
> Everything except the first drive, was mounted on /drives/$drivename/
>
> This then lead to symbolic linking and many other wonderful methods of
> making good use of drive space.
>
> In fact only a skeleton of /usr was actually on the first drive, we had
> to "move" /usr to /usr1 and then ln -s /drives/$drivename/usr /usr in
> order to get things to work properly.
>
> Then there was /usr containing the actual user's home directory. This
> was a serious pain, as by default BSDI's tools wouldn't allow anything
> to be done with this regard, so we had to "customize" the mounting and
> fsck tools to be wrappers.
>
> And that was only the first of the bootup issues.

[snip]
>> Thanks for the clear explanation.
>
> Just remember, any infrastructure put in place can and will change. The
> FHS has changed quite dramatically and has caused many a system to have
> serious legacy problems during those changes. FHS is after all a
> guideline, it is your machine. If it isn't on contract support where the
> vendor demands a certain environment, and the support is yours and it
> wouldn't be too hard for someone to pickup the ball if you got taken out
> by the Bus-Factor, then ehhh, what is the problem?
>
> Remember, FHS is a very nice guideline and works for many. Just that
> legacy of systems that have migrated from DOS v4.01 to BSDI in 1992 to
> FreeBSD in 1997 to RedHat Linux in 2003 to Debian Etch last week will
> have some significant areas of gray and remnants of the original
> system(s).
>
> P.S. Even as of last week, some processing is still done inside a
> FreeDOS emulator running a 1988 DOS executable.

Very good points.  It keeps us on our toes.  I don't mind things
changing as long as the changes are documented.  Another strong point
for Debian.  Some companies are famous for changing API calls without
documenting the changes, just so other company's software won't work
properly while theirs will.

I find it interesting that people on GNU/Linux run DOS programs that
can't run on XP or Vista.  Ha Ha.

Joe
- --