Re: Relabel partition didn't work

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 20:49 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> This discussion wouldn't be complete without a note about the FHS.
> (see man hier and the debian policy manual).
>
> The FHS is a policy document about what directories can be where and
> what they're used for.
>
> Almost the whole directory tree is under the auspisis of the FHS.  If
> you put a random directory within that tree, at some point there could
> be conflict.
>
> There are four places within the directory tree you could place your
> /store and be out of the way of the debian system:
>
> 	/home/store
> 		assuming you never create a user named 'store'
>
> 	/usr/local/share/store
> 		since ISOs are basically static, its similar to
>		putting a document under /usr/local/share/doc
>
> 	/var/local/store
> 		If you are frequently adding and removing files from
> 		store, it should go under /var (variable) since the
>		  idea of /usr is that it _can_ be mounted read-only.
>
> If its files to be placed by users (a communal bookshelf), I would put
> it under /home
>
> If its files to be placed by admin/root/whatever, to be read by users,
> I would put it under /var/local
>
> In any event, I would _not_ put it as /store.

Me? I put things on my stuff in:

        /exports/$sharename0
        	 $sharename1
        	 $sharename2
        	 $sharename3
        	 $sharename4

Where the nfs, samba, shfs, afs, etc... share them all with a same name

I guess I am non-FHS compliant that way. Though, I am consistent that
way. It grew out of early problems complying with FHS years ago... its a
bad habit, but a livable bad habit
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup