Re: Configuring networked printer

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 20:21 +0100, andy wrote:

Hmmm - Box A (printer connected) is configured to "Share published
printers connected to this system" (check) but not "Show printers
shared by other systems" (uncheck).

Box B (no printer) is configured only with "Show printers shared by
other systems" checked. The error I now get trying to print a test
page on Box B is:
"An error occurred while loading
http://valhalla.org:631/printers/EpsonDX6050?op=print-self-test-page:
Could not connect to host valhalla.org (port 631)"

Ah-ha. Your server feels/thinks it is valhalla.org

This means you need to define in your "hosts" file on "winlin"

192.168.1.40	valhalla.org	valhalla

But this will make it so you cannot get to the "real" valhalla.org,
which is really not a problem, as it is in parking at the moment.

I'm sure that this can't be that difficult so am quite willing to
accept that I've put a spanner in this somewhere. Just can't figure
out where I may have done so ...

I believe, you either need to fix your server (which ATM doesn't matter
with valhalla.org period) or just do the /etc/hosts entry.

You might also want to give your server an entry like:

192.168.1.29	winlin

I believe we have solved your problem.

Greg

You are brilliant - thank you SO much!!