Re: Relabel partition didn't work

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 04:58:12PM -0500, Manon Metten wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> >On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 16:43 -0500, Manon Metten wrote:
> >
> >> The odd thing however is, when I type 'ls /' /xyz as well as /store
> >> show up, although /xyz is not mounted of course. How do I get rid of
> >> this /xyz statement (and where does it come from)?

Manon,

This discussion wouldn't be complete without a note about the FHS. (see
man hier and the debian policy manual).

The FHS is a policy document about what directories can be where and
what they're used for.

Almost the whole directory tree is under the auspisis of the FHS.  If
you put a random directory within that tree, at some point there could
be conflict.

There are four places within the directory tree you could place your
/store and be out of the way of the debian system:

	/home/store
		assuming you never create a user named 'store'

	/usr/local/share/store
		since ISOs are basically static, its similar to putting
		a document under /usr/local/share/doc

	/var/local/store
		If you are frequently adding and removing files from
		store, it should go under /var (variable) since the idea
		of /usr is that it _can_ be mounted read-only.

If its files to be placed by users (a communal bookshelf), I would put
it under /home

If its files to be placed by admin/root/whatever, to be read by users, I
would put it under /var/local

In any event, I would _not_ put it as /store.

Doug.