Re: Relabel partition didn't work

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 04:41:02PM +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
>
>> It seems that many guides say to put your windows partition in
>> /mnt/windows or /media/windows.  That would suggest to me that that is
>> the place where other file systems go.  That's where my question stems
>> from as to why /mnt and /media are not good places.
>>

> Neither to me seem appropriate:
>
> 	/mnt should be empty since most *NIX expect that /mnt is a
> 	mountpoint itself for root to mount devices temporarily.
>
> 	/media to me suggests removeable media like CDs, USB, etc.
>

> If we consider the iso files like any other file to share between users,
> where do users put files to share?  It used to be that home directories
> were world-readable so you could keep them in either user's home and the
> other could access the file if the permissions permitted it.
>
> When home directories are not world-accessible, I've suggested a
> separate directory under /home for such things.
>
> I've never run an FTP server so I don't know.  Where does the FTP's /pub
> directory actually sit within its host's filesystem?  Perhaps one could
> learn from that decision.
>
> Doug.

I much prefer this civil type of correspondence, I must say.

I kind of gathered that from Greg's post, but I was still confused as to
why this is.  I don't know either where /pub is usually located, but I
do know that it really doesn't matter where someone mounts things.
Because as long as /etc/fstab points to an existing directory, things
can be mounted there.  I have drives inside of drives.  For example:

My /dev/hda2 mounts to /media/share and /dev/sda8 mounts to
/media/share/audio, /dev/sda9 mounts to /media/share/video.  Even though
they are on separate drives they mount with no trouble.  That's one
thing I really like about the way the file system works.  Even without
LVM it is simple to combine or separate different drives.

Perhaps after following this thread I should move the mount points to a
more FHS compliant location. The places need to be accessible to
multiple users, but that is easy enough to fix with proper groups and
permissions, so that isn't really an issue, it's more having to
reconfigure the apps.

After typing this, I think it is worth doing, because my system as it is
now isn't very secure and I could and should improve that.

Thanks for the clear explanation.

Joe

- --