Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >This is a device issue, no filesystem may fix it.  Not that I expect even
> >the crap we buy today for desktops and servers to be THIS dumb.
>
> Yes, a file system can fix that. But it has to be a file system
> which understands redundant hardware.

I think I understand what is happening in this thread, finally.

> No, not true. The system I'm talking about can recover from any
> single component failure without any data loss. Depending on what
> fails, there may be some reduction in processing capacity.

This is not a filesystem.  If you got anywhere beyond software, you are not
talking about a filesystem.

> What makes you think that the FS I am talking about doesn't
> have those features (except journalling, which is not necessary)?

I didn't.  It would *have* to implement rollback, or it would not be
failure-proof, and rollback *requires* either journals or that you only
write over unused areas.

> The system I'm referring to has:
>
> redundant separate power supplies
> redundant separate processors

This is hardware, not a file system.  Your "system" is a file system and a
storage system.  Which is fine, you can't guarantee data safety without
*both* of them playing well together.

But it certainly explains why I could not make sense of what the heck you
wanted from filesystems, and what magic filesystem of yours was that which
would be absolutely safe *regardless of the storage system it ran on top
of*.

  Henrique Holschuh