Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

[snip]

FYI, *any* filesystem has the potential to lose data on a sudden power
outage.

Umm, no. I suppose you haven't worked in telecomm. I've supported
file systems which never, ever, lost anything. If the system call
came back, and said it was on disc, then it was. If power failed,
then any writes in progress might not get committed, but no data
scrambling could take place, even if the hardware scribbled on
the disc.

I cannot prove it
either, it is just the experience which I had every time after I tried
XFS in the last years.

So, in other words, you are giving anecdotal "evidence" as the backing
for sweeping generalizations?

What are you doing, making sweeping claims about every file system
in the world, when you cannot possibly know everything about
every file system?

And every time I came back to ext3 where I can
not remember such trouble.

Well, as an anecdote of my own, I have used both XFS and ext3 quite
extensively and found that they are equally as good, given *quality*
hardware.

A good FS should not suffer corruption regardless of what the
hardware does, if we're talking *quality*, that is.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.