Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:58:31PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> Great, that is the usual propaganda from XFS users with the same lame
> excuse written with small letters.

How is it propaganda?  It was a statement of fact.

> It has this bad tendency to shred the
> file contents after powerouts or sudden kernel crashes... silently
> inserting lots of 0x0s, IIRC sometimes only a 512 byte block, sometimes
> filling the rest of a file after a certain position.

FYI, *any* filesystem has the potential to lose data on a sudden power
outage.

> I cannot prove it
> either, it is just the experience which I had every time after I tried
> XFS in the last years.

So, in other words, you are giving anecdotal "evidence" as the backing
for sweeping generalizations?

> And every time I came back to ext3 where I can
> not remember such trouble.

Well, as an anecdote of my own, I have used both XFS and ext3 quite
extensively and found that they are equally as good, given *quality*
hardware.

Regards,

-Roberto

--