Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:59:18AM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >FYI, *any* filesystem has the potential to lose data on a sudden power
> >outage.
>
> Umm, no. I suppose you haven't worked in telecomm. I've supported
> file systems which never, ever, lost anything. If the system call
> came back, and said it was on disc, then it was. If power failed,
> then any writes in progress might not get committed, but no data
> scrambling could take place, even if the hardware scribbled on
> the disc.

You can achieve the same thing with any decent filesystem.  You just
have put the hardware into writethrough instead of writeback and you
also give up a lot of performance.  It depends on what you need.

> What are you doing, making sweeping claims about every file system
> in the world, when you cannot possibly know everything about
> every file system?

Except that there are conditions under which just about every filesystem
will lose data.  The amounts vary.  The conditions vary.  The results
vary.  However, no filesystem is so good that it will handle every
single possible case.

> >>And every time I came back to ext3 where I can
> >>not remember such trouble.
> >>

> >Well, as an anecdote of my own, I have used both XFS and ext3 quite
> >extensively and found that they are equally as good, given *quality*
> >hardware.
>
> A good FS should not suffer corruption regardless of what the
> hardware does, if we're talking *quality*, that is.

I wouldn't say regardless.  If the whole disk melts down, I would wager
that there is going to be some corruption.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez