Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

Hi Roberto.

Roberto C. Sanchez, 12.03.2007 23:15:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 10:42:45PM +0100, Mathias Brodala wrote:
>> Roberto C. Sanchez, 12.03.2007 21:07:
>>> There is a ton of information about JFS and XFS on the net.  All you
>>> need to do is check the Wikipedia filesystem comparison page or Google
>>> search for filesystem comparisons.  The short of it is:
>>>
>>> ext3 - good general purpose FS (not the best performance, but stable)
>>> xfs - excellent performance with huge files and huge filesystems
>>> jfs - similar to XFS but I think it has better performance when under
>>> heavy I/O load
>> Could you define 'huge files' and 'huge filesystems'? Can you give me some numbers?
>>

> At work we deal with files of size 1 GB to 100 GB on a regular basis.  I
> would classify those as large.

I see. I was asking since I have a whole drive full of videos and such which are
usually between 100MB and 300MB per file. So I guess XFS would not really be the
best choice for them. I got ext3 everywhere at the moment and wondered if I
could get a bit more performance by using another filesystem. And since I only
used ext3 up until now, I don’t really know which other filesystem to trust.

> XFS supports files up to a size of 8
> exabytes and filesystems also of size 8 exabytes.  I am not sure of the
> limitations on JFS.

OK, that seems only important for enterprise levels. I don’t think that I will
reach these sizes at the moment.

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules