Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

#include <hallo.h>
* Roberto C. Sanchez [Mon, Mar 12 2007, 07:06:43PM]:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:34:48PM +0100, Mathias Brodala wrote:
> > Hi Roberto.
> >

> > I see. I was asking since I have a whole drive full of videos and such which are
> > usually between 100MB and 300MB per file. So I guess XFS would not really be the
> > best choice for them. I got ext3 everywhere at the moment and wondered if I
> > could get a bit more performance by using another filesystem. And since I only
> > used ext3 up until now, I don???t really know which other filesystem to trust.
> >
> I would certainly trust XFS.  Of course, if you don't have your machine
> on an UPS, it can cause problems on a crash or power outage.  How are

Great, that is the usual propaganda from XFS users with the same lame
excuse written with small letters. It has this bad tendency to shred the
file contents after powerouts or sudden kernel crashes... silently
inserting lots of 0x0s, IIRC sometimes only a 512 byte block, sometimes
filling the rest of a file after a certain position. I cannot prove it
either, it is just the experience which I had every time after I tried
XFS in the last years. And every time I came back to ext3 where I can
not remember such trouble.

Eduard.
--
<HE> meebey: Mail kannst du eigentlich nicht verschachteln ... und dann
	 kam MIME.