Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Mike McCarty wrote:
> This is untrue. If power fails during a write, and the drive
> scribbles on the disc in a spiral pattern as the head moves
> toward the parking area, that particular disc is hosed.

This is a device issue, no filesystem may fix it.  Not that I expect even
the crap we buy today for desktops and servers to be THIS dumb.

> Not true. Read what I wrote above. Even in the face of a complete
> meltdown of a disc, the systems I'm talking about would not
> lose data.

Easy to do with a RAID with enough redundancy, but then you may get a lot of
problems if something else than a disc meltdowns, and that is NOT something
that uncommon.

The bottom line is: you need a filesystem that fully journals everything
that always need a rollback (data doesn't when you only write unused areas
of the disk), always orders everything that needs ordering, AND you need the
entire chain from that filesystem to the disc platter to behave.  Otherwise,
you can lose data indeed.  It is not easy even if you don't factor in
defective software, firmware or hardware.

  Henrique Holschuh