Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 07:11 -0500, Tarek Soliman wrote:
> > > If you want to install Oracle on Linux (and *lots* of companies do,
> > > so don't bleat about not infecting your system with closed-source),
> > > you need X.
> >
> > No, you only need a few libraries. The Display can be a local
> > workstation.
> >
> > I know this, I've done it, as far back as 1998 when the universal
> > installer finally became somewhat *un-buggy* enough to be used. Of
> > course, this was on AIX, Tru64 and HP-UX mostly, but also Linux on the
> > Dev and QA systems. The only REAL problems I ran into ~2001 was when the
> > Pentium 4 was not recognized by the Java included on the installation
> > CDs. The only X stuff was some runtime libraries needed. Very little
> > compared to a full setup.
>
> Is there any compatibility issues as far as versions of X, the server
> being non-linux (or even not the same distro as the workstation), etc?

The X-Server is the local display on Linux. The X-Client is actually the
"program running on the server". Remember, X is opposite of what most
people think, the server runs the display, the client runs and send
display info to the server. Yeah it seems whacked but...

Not as far as I know. I've been using Linux as a Display since 1996
(maybe earlier, but 1996 for sure). I've only ever had an issue with
"sound" or network audio... like I care about that.

> The only time I tried this was to run mythtv-setup on a MythTV backend
> (whose config utility (has to be run once at least, and one more every
> time you want to change something in the "infrastructure")
>
> Both PCs were the same exact debian sid though.

As long as the X libraries comply with the X protocol, things should
just "work". If ssh -X remote_host_name_or_ip works or you could also do
the "xhost +SERVER_NAME_OR_IP" (xhost +192.168.1.10) and then at the
command prompt on the server set the $DISPLAY variable proper.

There is very little to making this work.

All I can do is tell you to try this:

        ssh -X servername_or_ip

Then once logged in:

        set | grep DISPLAY

note what it says, if you get nothing, then the admin has disabled
localhost display offset.

Here is what I get:

        greg@princess:~$ ssh -X duke
        greg@duke:~$ set | grep DISPLAY
        DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
        greg@duke:~$ xterm &
        [1] 23201

And an xterm pops up on my desktop locally. I used xterm mainly to make
sure you get the idea.

"duke" in my network is an XDMCP server. It manages X Displays. It
doesn't run the X server. My daughter's and wife's machines are crap
machines used only for the Video part or the X server. The XDMCP Chooser
runs locally on their machines, as GDMs default mode, but logs into
"duke" and give them the desktop and all programs running on the
"powerhouse" machine. But still the Display is run on the minimal
PentiumII 300 machines.

Now if "ssh -X" doesn't work, then you need to work with xhost and
manually setting the display variable, but once you authorize a host
with "xhost +hostname_or_ip" on the local machine you are using and then
setup the proper $DISPLAY string, it should just work.

Here is what I mean:
        greg@princess:~$ xhost +duke
        duke being added to access control list
        greg@princess:~$ xhost
        access control enabled, only authorized clients can connect
        INET:duke.gregfolkert.net
        greg@princess:~$ ssh duke
        greg@duke:~$ set | grep DISPLAY
        greg@duke:~$
        greg@duke:~$ export DISPLAY=192.168.1.8:0.0
        greg@duke:~$ set | grep DISPLAY
        DISPLAY=192.168.1.8:0.0
        greg@duke:~$ xterm &
        [1] 23646

Up pops up an xterm just like before, but the main difference is the
transport is not sent over SSH. Less secure than the other way, but if
it is your network and your network *IS* secure against sniffers, there
is not a big amount of difference. Though the amount of traffic on the
first "ssh" method is less.

I have yet to have any real problems... except Network Audio, unless you
know how, it is difficult. Though, it seems most things are worked out
now.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup