Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 09:34 -0500, Tarek Soliman wrote:
> > Well, as an anecdote of my own, I have used both XFS and ext3 quite
> > extensively and found that they are equally as good, given *quality*
> > hardware.
> >

> I assume quality hardware is mutually exclusive with a home PC
> Is that correct?

No. There are quite a few recent studies and statistical reports from
companies like Google that are disputing Hard Drive data. It seems
hard-drives being "regular" home system drives or "enterprise" drives
have near the same failure and problems rates. Also, some "consumer"
drives actually out perform many "enterprise" drives.

The real differences between the hard drives are being pinned down to
the "electronics" on the printed circuit board included on the drive.

Also, the differences between the GigE NICs included on many of the
"servers" I have recently purchased are the same chipsets I find on
"consumer" motherboards. Being driven by the same drivers and are
getting the same through-put.

Now as far as video, who cares about that... servers don't need GUI
stuff.

And now we get to motherboards, in all reality, now that PCIe has come
along, servers motherboards are showing up with only 1 PCI-X slot and
many PCIe slots. Once again, similar chipsets, if not the same ones with
features not supported on "consumer" versions and then the features
turned on with the additional support chips on the "server" versions.

Reality speaking, it comes down to the quality of the power supplies and
the engineering of the case and air-flow through it that is typically
defining servers vs workstation/consumer machines. Even then some
high-end workstations have better air-flow design than many servers.

Ever crack open a well designed 1U servers capable of 2-4 CPUs? I have,
it is all about the air-flow. My personal HP Proliant DL145 G2 has 15
double fans (back to back for redundancy) for airflow. All thermally
controlled for variable speeds.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup