Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 23:48 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/13/07 20:52, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Tarek Soliman wrote in Article <[🔎] 20070313153338.GA21908@zeus.olympus> posted
> > to gmane.linux.debian.user:

> >> Tell that to our admins who run redhat and suse. Want to disable these
> >> guys? Remove some X libraries. (The one guy who uses CLI uses telnet)
> >>
> >> Yes they really have X on ALL of the servers.
> >
> > What moron at that company did they talk to to get their jobs, are they on
> > good terms with said moron, and do they cover medical/dental and transit
> > fare?
>
> Larry Ellison.
>
> If you want to install Oracle on Linux (and *lots* of companies do,
> so don't bleat about not infecting your system with closed-source),
> you need X.

No, you only need a few libraries. The Display can be a local
workstation.

I know this, I've done it, as far back as 1998 when the universal
installer finally became somewhat *un-buggy* enough to be used. Of
course, this was on AIX, Tru64 and HP-UX mostly, but also Linux on the
Dev and QA systems. The only REAL problems I ran into ~2001 was when the
Pentium 4 was not recognized by the Java included on the installation
CDs. The only X stuff was some runtime libraries needed. Very little
compared to a full setup.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup