Re: What UPS to buy

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:59:28 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 19:44:30 -0500
Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com> wrote:

Some of APC's UPS units allow you to set the voltage sensitivity
via dip switches, some of the units allow you to set it via
software, and some don't let you adjust the sensitivity.  So if
you plan to back up your battery powered UPS with an external
generator, make sure to get a UPS with an adjustment for voltage
sensitivity.
About two years ago, we had trouble at work due to an APC UPS that
would kick in every night. As we needed the computer at 5:00 AM we
had to connect the computer directly. When my boss wanted to throw
away the "faulty" UPS I took it home. After a Google search I found
the User's Manual describing the above mentioned dip-switches.

Needless to say I now have a pretty good working UPS, because of the
power fluctuations in my country and the stupidity of our IT-Service
(who couldn't figure out how to solve the problem).

Still the same battery?

Yup. But I'm not sure how old it is. I use it mostly for (very short)
power fluctuations because the wiring in my apartment block is *very*
bad and the refrigerator might trigger a reboot.

My *apcaccess* has:
MANDATE  : 2000-07-31
SERIALNO : NB18008004272
BATTDATE : 2000-07-31

and *apctest* has the same date.

But I have used the apctest function to reset the sensitivity of the Back-UPS LS 500 to 'low' (with apcupsd 3.13.2 (22 February 2006)) and *before* that I had:

MANDATE : 2005-08-23
SERIALNO : 3B0533X05324
BATTDATE : 2005-08-23

which should be right, because I bought it in November 2005.

So you should be able to see the battery date with apcaccess, unless it got clobbered.

Hugo