Re: What UPS to buy

Russell L. Harris wrote:
* J.A. de Vries <hdv@jadev.org> [070204 06:28]:
After some Googling I am thinking of buying either an APC Smart-UPS 750
or a MGE Evolution 850. As far as I know APC is the "big brand" and it
certainly is the one that is the easiest to get around here. Their
Powerchute software seems to support Linux as well.

I've had two or three APC UPS units burn up, in the sense of emitting
smoke; that is a bit scary.  Cleaning house a week ago, I came across
six or seven APC units of various models which have failed within the
past five years; these all went into the dumpster.  I now refuse to
purchase APC; APC appears to spend more on advertising than on
engineering.

I currently am well pleased with Powerware units, which are used in
the broadcast industry.  Powerware advertises advanced battery
management circuitry which is said to increase battery life by a
substantial factor.  Also, even the lower-cost Powerware units provide
a nearly-sinusoidal waveform, rather than a stepped wave.  (The more
expensive Powerware units provide a pure sinusoid.)  Powerware may be
purchased in the US through BSW (www.bswusa.com).

Another respectable UPS manufacturer is Tripp-Lite.

But how is their Linux support?
I would buy Tripp-Lite because it is readily available here in Mexico, but, again, how is the Linux support?

Hugo