Re: What UPS to buy

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:06:20PM -0700, Dave Thayer wrote......

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 10:54:30PM +0000, J.A. de Vries wrote:
> >
> > I agree with the advice not to skimp on the UPS. However in my case the
> > device is only needed because the "aardlekschakelaar" (in English earth
> > leakage cicruit breaker I believe) cuts the electricity. Not because the
>
> It's GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) here in the States. Back OT, I
> recently installed a cyberpower UPS which I'm pretty happy with.  I had to
> use NUT to monitor it since I'm out of serial ports. For a single machine
> NUT is somewhatt overkill and is correspondingly challenging to configure,
> but it does the job and is extremely flexable.

One other consideration when buying a UPS ... if you plan to back up your
battery powered UPS with a gas, propane or natural gas powered generator
(because you expect power outages to last many hours if not days) then make
sure the UPS you purchase supports an ability to set the voltage sensitivity.

Your external generator usually takes a good 10 to 15 seconds before the
transfer switch kicks in, making it essential to have a battery powered UPS.
Once the external generator kicks in, the battery powered UPS should stand
down.  But the power from the external generator may not be steady, and you're
battery powered UPS will trip in, and then trip out, repeatedly.

Some of APC's UPS units allow you to set the voltage sensitivity via dip
switches, some of the units allow you to set it via software, and some don't
let you adjust the sensitivity.  So if you plan to back up your battery
powered UPS with an external generator, make sure to get a UPS with an
adjustment for voltage sensitivity.

Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner  GnuPG key: 1024D/8CE11941