Re: What UPS to buy

On 2007-02-04 @ 08:45:38 (week 05) Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> But how is their Linux support?
> I would buy Tripp-Lite because it is readily available here in Mexico,
> but, again, how is the Linux support?

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input.

I agree with the advice not to skimp on the UPS. However in my case the
device is only needed because the "aardlekschakelaar" (in English earth
leakage cicruit breaker I believe) cuts the electricity. Not because the
power itself is gone, but because of some leakage current. Of course we
tried to find out why that is, but we haven't gotten any further than
pinpointing the room where the cause most likely is to be found.

In this case it doesn't matter if the current is broken when I'm not at
home, because the server won't be up at those moments anyway. The UPS is
only meant to keep my main system running during the time I need to
switch the circuit breaker back on again. That should be within a few
minutes. For the few times the server is on when I'm gone it would be
nice to have auto shutdown and powerup.

I noticed most of you recommended APC, so that'll probably be the one I
go for. Any comments on their Powerchute software (I see it supports
Linux), or should I just skip it and use NUT?

Grx HdV