Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

Nate Bargmann wrote:
> If the community decides that IceWeasel shall be the name of the DFSG
> free version of Firefox, then I have little problem with it so long as we
> are able to (legally) make the connection to its being Firefox without
> the branding restrictions.

Nominative uses are not restricted by trademark law in the US.  Debian can
say "Iceweasel is built from the same sources as Firefox." "Iceweasel works
exactly like Firefox." "Iceweasel is functionally equivalent to Firefox"
etc. without infringing the trademark.  It is probably legal to have a
"firefox" symlink in /usr/bin.
--
John Hasler