Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

* John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> [2006 Oct 25 10:04 -0500]:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > If the community decides that IceWeasel shall be the name of the DFSG
> > free version of Firefox, then I have little problem with it so long as we
> > are able to (legally) make the connection to its being Firefox without
> > the branding restrictions.
>
> Nominative uses are not restricted by trademark law in the US.  Debian can
> say "Iceweasel is built from the same sources as Firefox." "Iceweasel works
> exactly like Firefox." "Iceweasel is functionally equivalent to Firefox"
> etc. without infringing the trademark.  It is probably legal to have a
> "firefox" symlink in /usr/bin.

I assumed that to be true,  There was some mention in the bug about
this and keeping the firefox name on disk while calling the package and
the making the text in the About box say something else.  To me, a
symlink seems like a good solution as I think it would make it clear
that the maintainers are working toward operability and not
circumventing the trademark policy.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of