Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

Nate Bargmann wrote:
* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2006 Oct 24 09:05 -0500]:

ISTM that the purpose of such fancy names has always been to
build brand recognition and brand loyalty. Why do you feel the
need to have such in a non-commercial product?

Are you asking this question about the Mozilla Corporation?

No, about those who want to give a "cute" name like "Ice Weasel"
to a version which has the trademarked portions removed.

After reading what the MoCo people have to say I've concluded that one
of the reasons is because they've chosen to play in Bill's sandbox with
Firefox releases on Windows being their primary focus.  My other guess
is that they plan some sort of branding arrangements.

[snip]

It makes sense for them to do that sort of thing, because they
*do* want brand recognition.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.