Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 14:08 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> Firefox is the current front-runner for secure, stable, all-around
> good web-browsers. This is not a judgement of FF, just an
> observation. Mozilla has changed how it handles some of its IP and the
> freedom of that IP (specifically the artwork). Okay, maybe they
> haven't changed it, but they are trying to enforce it. Regardless,
> this less than free IP is not acceptable to Debian. But, Debian wants
> to include FF in its distribution for reasons listed above.

I'm probably less than sufficiently informed so don't scream at me if my
comments are brain-dead :-)

Why don't they just put it in the non-free repositry?  To me it would
make far more sense to replace the offending artwork with Debian's own,
and rather work the extra features directly back into the mozilla
project.

While I understand the licencing issue, I don't understand why
opensource proponents always have to resort to some sort of derogatory
name for something.  Calling someone a weasel has never been a
compliment, and "ice" never has any positive connotations either.  It's
rally childish.

Hans