Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2006 Oct 25 00:06 -0500]:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> >* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2006 Oct 24 09:05 -0500]:
> >

> >>ISTM that the purpose of such fancy names has always been to
> >>build brand recognition and brand loyalty. Why do you feel the
> >>need to have such in a non-commercial product?
> >

> >Are you asking this question about the Mozilla Corporation?
>
> No, about those who want to give a "cute" name like "Ice Weasel"
> to a version which has the trademarked portions removed.

Okay, I guess I went off on a tangent for little reason, then.

There seems to be a provision for a "Community Edition" as discussed in
bug 354622:

However, according to Mike Connor of MoCo, the Debian patchsets exceed
what would be allowed under that policy as well.  He also stated that
the "CE" moniker was primary for ports to systems unsupported by
Mozilla and not variations of supported platforms.

As for cute names, IceWeasel does seem to have a bit of vindictive
sound to it.  No doubt it was originally coined as a tweak back at the
Mozilla people for their stringent policy, and I do wonder if it will
serve Debian well to use it.

On the other hand, a name like Debian Web Browser hints that it is an
internal project, which it's not--it's a derivative.

Since MoCo has a policy that branded use is restricted, but unbranded
use is only restricted so far as the code license terms allow, a cute
name that the community settles on will at least be consistent.  If the
community decides that IceWeasel shall be the name of the DFSG free
version of Firefox, then I have little problem with it so long as we
are able to (legally) make the connection to its being Firefox without
the branding restrictions.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of