Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

George Borisov wrote:
> Owen Heisler wrote:
> >
> > I have Debian running on another drive now, and have another question.
> > When I update the system using aptitude, the "mark upgradeable
> > packages" (or similar) option in the menu will mark all the packages to
> > update.  Then I can see what it is planning on doing.  This is a limited
> > update like running "aptitude upgrade", right?  How can I do the
> > equivalent of "aptitude dist-upgrade" in the aptitude program, so I can
> > see what it will do at a full release upgrade?
>
> I think it already is like the dist-upgrade option? After all, it does
> install new and remove unwanted dependencies.

According to 'man aptitude':
upgrade - Upgrades installed packages to their most recent version.
Installed packages will not be removed unless they are unused (see the
section "Managing Automatically Installed Packages" in the aptitude
reference manual); packages which are not currently installed will not
be installed.  If a package cannot be upgraded without violating these
constraints, it will be kept at its current version.

So 'aptitude upgrade' is like 'apt-get upgrade'.  But there is no
'dist-upgrade' option for aptitude.  I don't get it...  How can I see,
in aptitude (interactive), a full dist-upgrade?