Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

Andrew Sackville-West on 18/05/06 15:17, wrote:
My sources.list points at etch (testing, right?) like so:

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
deb http://ftp.debian.skynet.be/ftp/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.skynet.be/ftp/debian/ testing main
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main

If I didn't pay attention, it seems from Chris's message, I would just blindly move from etch testing into the next testing without any knowledge. Bearing in mind that I only monitor what's going on at Debian in a haphazard sort of way, how would I check whether etch has moved from testing into stable? Would I then be able to downgrade from the new testing to etch-stable if I wanted, without having to do some mega-operation?

IMHO, its better to pre-empt that by pointing to etch instead of
testing. then when etch ebcomes stable, you'll stabilise and can
decide on your own when to brave the churning in testing. And I
suspect that's a lot easier than trying to go through a downgrade
process.

You mean 'testing' and 'etch' are interchangeable as far as the sources.list entry goes?