Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:46:59AM +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Chris Howie on 16/05/06 20:16, wrote:
> >That is correct.  However when sarge was released, I was tracking testing,
> >meaning that I jumped right into etch.  I recall this having very ill
> >effects
> >that lasted until I reinstalled etch.  Now I am tracking etch, and plan on
> >doing so until several days after etch is released at which point I will
> >upgrade to whatever is then testing.
> >
> >It seems (though I cannot confirm this from knowledge of packaging) that
> >certain things happen on a release that can be skipped if you directly
> >upgrade
> >from a testing distribution to a newer testing distribution.  At least it
> >did a
> >fair job of nuking my box.
>

> Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread a bit.
>
> My sources.list points at etch (testing, right?) like so:
>

> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> deb http://ftp.debian.skynet.be/ftp/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.skynet.be/ftp/debian/ testing main
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>

> If I didn't pay attention, it seems from Chris's message, I would just
> blindly move from etch testing into the next testing without any knowledge.
> Bearing in mind that I only monitor what's going on at Debian in a
> haphazard sort of way, how would I check whether etch has moved from
> testing into stable?
> Would I then be able to downgrade from the new testing to etch-stable if I
> wanted, without having to do some mega-operation?

IMHO, its better to pre-empt that by pointing to etch instead of
testing. then when etch ebcomes stable, you'll stabilise and can
decide on your own when to brave the churning in testing. And I
suspect that's a lot easier than trying to go through a downgrade
process.

.02