Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 10:45 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 11:10:13AM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > I have been following this thread as I am working on switching to
> > Debian, and have just these questions:
> >
> > If I install Debian stable and have "stable" in the sources.list file,
> > will updates keep happening, even across releases?  I think it would be
> > great it I never had to reinstall, yet could still have a completely
> > up-to-date system.
> >
> > Also, is the same true for unstable and testing?

> There are three (well 4 with experimental, 5 with oldstable) targets
> you can point at stable, testing and unstable. If you point at one of
> these you will always point at one of these. If you choose stable, you
> will always be stable, which means yes, when the next stable is
> released you will point to it and suffer through a massive, though
> supposedly smooth, upgrade. You can also point to the release names:
> woody (oldstable), sarge (stable), etch (testing) or sid
> (unstable). If you point at the release name, you will follow that
> release through its cycle. that means essentially that you won't
> suffer through a massive "all-at-once" sort of upgrade like you would
> see if you tracked stable. But it also means you will gradually drift
> more and more out of date, especially once your release becomes
> stable. Once it moves into stable, you only get security fixes, more
> or less and then once you move into oldstable, probably less. So if
> you point to etch (currently testing) it will eventually settle down,
> move into stable and then ultimately oldstable. The exception to this
> is sid. sid always points to unstable.

I have Debian running on another drive now, and have another question.
When I update the system using aptitude, the "mark upgradeable
packages" (or similar) option in the menu will mark all the packages to
update.  Then I can see what it is planning on doing.  This is a limited
update like running "aptitude upgrade", right?  How can I do the
equivalent of "aptitude dist-upgrade" in the aptitude program, so I can
see what it will do at a full release upgrade?