Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 03:49:07PM -0400, Chris Howie wrote:
> Joseph Smidt wrote:
> > I want to run testing for I like keeping farely leading edge software on
> > my computer.  When they freeze etch can I just change my repo's from
> > etch to testing and keep getting new software, or do I have to wait for
> > the etch freeze to be over before testing goes back to being what
> > testing currently is.
> >      I guess what I am saying is I want to run testing, getting software
> > that has survived in unstable for about 10 days, but I don't want to
> > stay with etch once it starts freezing and is no longer getting new
> > software.  Can I do that while etch is in freeze?
>
> I would highly recommend leaving your sources.list pointing at etch until after
> the freeze is over, then point at testing.  Upgrading across releases (for that
> is what will happen if you track testing) can cause some bizarre problems now
> and then.

I think the reasoning here is backwards. Etch will one day become
stable. When this happens, Sarge will become something else in the
naming scheme, probably oldstable. There will be, for the people who
run stable, a dist-upgrade necessary at that time, if they want to
move to the new stable. But for people who are following Etch,there
will be no need to do anything.

Similarly, but differently, people who choose to run testing now
will, when Etch becomes stable, continue to be using the new testing
which for a few hours, will be identical to the new stable. So, they
also do no dist-upgrade to stay with their choice of distribution.

Have I confused anyone? Well that's the way it is.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net