Re: Can I stay in testing without going etch?

Paul E Condon wrote:
>>I would highly recommend leaving your sources.list pointing at etch until after
>>the freeze is over, then point at testing.  Upgrading across releases (for that
>>is what will happen if you track testing) can cause some bizarre problems now
>>and then.
>
> I think the reasoning here is backwards. Etch will one day become
> stable. When this happens, Sarge will become something else in the
> naming scheme, probably oldstable. There will be, for the people who
> run stable, a dist-upgrade necessary at that time, if they want to
> move to the new stable. But for people who are following Etch,there
> will be no need to do anything.

I did not say anything regarding this scenario.

> Similarly, but differently, people who choose to run testing now
> will, when Etch becomes stable, continue to be using the new testing
> which for a few hours, will be identical to the new stable. So, they
> also do no dist-upgrade to stay with their choice of distribution.

That is correct.  However when sarge was released, I was tracking testing,
meaning that I jumped right into etch.  I recall this having very ill effects
that lasted until I reinstalled etch.  Now I am tracking etch, and plan on
doing so until several days after etch is released at which point I will
upgrade to whatever is then testing.

It seems (though I cannot confirm this from knowledge of packaging) that
certain things happen on a release that can be skipped if you directly upgrade
from a testing distribution to a newer testing distribution.  At least it did a
fair job of nuking my box.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com